Requirements to practise dentistry


If your dental qualifications are not from an Australian or New Zealand University, you will need to pass a qualification assessment from the Australian Dental Council External website icon(ADC) before you can register to practise dentistry. (Also refer to the AHPRA website External website icon)

Dentists with eligible qualifications from, Republic of Ireland and Canada

You are eligible to register to practise dentistry in Australia without sitting the ADC exams if you:

  • Hold a Bachelor of Dental Surgery/B Dent or Bachelor of Dental Science from
    a university in Ireland.
  • Hold a Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) or Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD)
    from a university in Canada.

Information on registration for dental practitioners with overseas qualifications External website icon (AHPRA website)

If you are living outside Australia:

First contact your nearest Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate.

If you are currently living in Australia:

For information regarding working visas and/or residency in Australia, please contact the Department of Immigration and Citizenship External website icon.

Australian Dental Council  (ADC) examinations

The ADC assesses overseas educated dentists to enable them to obtain registration in Australia. Go to the ADC website to find out if you are eligible to undertake the ADC examination External website icon.