Visit to dental day surgeryPRINT PAGE
The Day Surgery Unit is on Level 4 at The Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne (RDHM). Patients do not stay overnight. They arrive and leave on the same day.
In order to avoid delays, please allow enough travel time.
On arrival at day surgery
Please provide the name and phone number of the responsible adult to staff at the time of admission.
For patients under the age of 18 you must have a legal guardian present for the duration of the day. One adult may come with the patient once they have been admitted
There may be a wait of up to three hours from your admission time to the start of surgery. Please be patient and allow for at least half a day for your surgery.
Morning surgery - Admission between 7am and 9am
- No food after midnight
- From midnight to 6am, sip water only
Afternoon surgery - Admission between 11:30am and 1:30pm
- You may eat a light breakfast at 6am
- No food after 7am
- From 7am to 11am, sip water only
Patient checklist- How to prepare for your procedure
- Remove all make up and nail polish
- Remove all jewellery and body piercings
- Bring your Medicare Card
- Bring your Health Care Card and
- Bring your DVA concession card if applicable
- Leave all valuables at home
- Bring your medication
- Bring a book, magazine or music and headphones
- Bring your glasses or contact lens case
- Bring a change of clothes for patients under eight
- Incontinent patients must bring a change of clothes and extra continence aids
Payment of Fees
You will need to pay a fee for day surgery. Please speak to the reception staff on arrival to confirm the amount.
We accept payment by credit card, cash, EFTPOS and by cheque.
Make cheques payable to Dental Health Services Victoria.
Going Home after your procedure
Please make sure you have organised transport home in a car or taxi, in the care of a responsible adult.
For your safety, please organise for a responsible adult to stay with you on the first night after your surgery.
If you are responsible for caring for young children, we suggest you make childcare arrangements prior to your appointment as you will not be able to care for them during and after your dental procedure.
Please note: We cannot provide firm discharge times. Your childcare arrangements should be in place until at least the early evening.
Your surgery may be cancelled if you haven't organised these.
Notify the Day Surgery if:
- There is any change in your medical condition
- You become unwell, (productive cough, bad cold, diarrhoea, vomiting, fever, cold sores
- You haven't followed the fasting instructions.
- You are pregnant
- You are breastfeeding
- You have a disability or special needs.
- You are taking medication.
- Don't stop taking prescription medication without consulting your doctor.
- Don't take aspirin for 2 weeks before your operation unless prescribed by your doctor.
- (03) 9341 1000 Melbourne metro area
- 1800 833039 Outside Melbourne metro area
Emergency dental services after hours: (03) 9341 1000