COVID-19 updatePRINT PAGE
Victorians can access emergency dental care at the Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne and selected community-based dental services across the state.
To enquire about emergency dental care at the Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne (RDHM), call us on 9341 1000 (Outside Melbourne Metro call 1800 833 039). Alternatively, you can search the community dental clinic finder to contact your closest clinic.
RDHM also offers a Telehealth service. You can video call and speak directly with us about your oral health concerns. This is a free and confidential service. Click here to start a video call with us.
Emergency dental care
Emergency treatment is available to all Victorians at RDHM and selected community-based dental services across Victoria.
Emergency care covers many different dental procedures. These will be assessed by your oral health professional and may include:
- Swelling of the face (especially if it’s hard to breathe)
- Trauma to the face (especially if it’s hard to breathe)
- Bleeding from the mouth that won’t stop
- An ulcer or sore in your mouth that hasn’t healed for 2 weeks or more
- Severe mouth pain that keeps you awake
- Tooth fracture (opening the tooth’s nerve)
- Significant dental trauma (eg your tooth has been knocked out)
- You have been advised by your doctor to see a dentist for treatment before a medical procedure.
Arriving at the Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne
In the interests of the safety of staff and patients, we are screening all patients arriving at RDHM.
Upon arrival to RDHM, you will:
- be asked a few questions to see if you have any symptoms of COVID-19
- wash your hands with a hand sanitiser.
You may undergo further screening, such as a temperature check.
What are the symptoms for COVID-19?
The most common coronavirus symptoms reported include:
- breathing difficulties such as breathlessness
- sore throat
- fatigue or tiredness.
What if I have flu-like symptoms?
If you have any of the symptoms mentioned above, please stay at home and contact RDHM on either (03) 9341 1000 or email@example.com to reschedule your appointment.
You can find out more information about COVID-19 on the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services website.
Good hygiene tips
We also ask that patients practice strict hygiene to help keep everyone safe.
Help stop the spread:
Cough or sneeze into your arm
Use a tissue
Bin the tissue
Wash your hands