Informed mum banner

Informed mum banner

Special needs dental health services


Special needs Care Unit at the Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne

The Special Care Unit provides dental care to patients with special needs who need dental treatment in a hospital setting. You will need a referral for treatment at the Special needs care unit.

Mobile Special School and Special Development Schools Dental Van service

Dental Health Services Victoria have two special needs vehicles. These vehicles travel to special schools and special development schools in Victoria.  They provide general dental care to children with physical and intellectual disabilities.

Children who attend a special school or special developmental school in Victoria can receive free dental care every one to two years.

Do you need dental care provided at home?

The services for house bound (domiciliary) patients is for people who need dental treatment but cannot leave their home. This may be due to medical, physical or mental condition.  To find out more, visit the services for homebound patients page

Other high needs dental programs?

DHSV provides dental treatment at Oznam house for people who are homeless. General Dental care and denture care is available.

For further information, please call:

  • (03) 9341 1000 Melbourne metro area
  • 1800 833039 Outside Melbourne metro area

To complete a referral application, please follow the link below.

Go to the specialist services referral form >