Informed mum banner

Informed mum banner

Public dental services


In an emergency call (03) 9341 1000

To access dental care through the public dental system, you need to be eligible. Extra eligibility criteria may apply for dental specialist dental services. For more information about eligibility click here.

How much you pay for public dental health care depends on your situation and the type of treatment you need. You may be able to get treatment for free or there may be a cost involved. For more information about fees click here.

General dental services  Specialist dental services
green arrow Emergency dental care
Emergency dental care is available at your local community dental clinic and at the Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne. Emergencies can include pain, swelling or bleeding and accidents involving damage to your mouth, teeth or jaw. 
 green arrow Specialist dental care
You will need a referral to access Specialist Dental Care Services. Treatments include endodontics, integrated special needs, oral medicine, orthodontics, paediatric dentistry, periodontics, prosthodontics and oral maxillofacial surgery. 
green arrow General dental care
Community dental clinics and the Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne provide general care including routine check-ups, oral health advice, scale and cleaning, extractions, fillings, x-rays, fissure sealants and root canal treatments. 
 green arrowReferrals to specialist dental care (forms)
To access specialist dental services at Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne you need a referral. The referral needs to be from an oral health practitioner, health practitioner or a specialist department at the Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne. 
green arrow Dental care for kids and teens
Dental Health Services Victoria provides general, specialist and emergency dental care for children and young people. Child Dental Benefits Schedule covers part or the full cost of some dental services for people aged 2 to 18. 
 green arrow Dental care for people with special needs
The Special Care Unit provides dental care to patients with special needs who need dental treatment in a hospital setting. You will need a referral for treatment at the special needs care unit. 
green arrow Free care by dental students
Dental students provide treatment under the supervision of qualified dental practitioners. Treatment at Dental Teaching Clinics include general care, endodontics, paediatric dentistry, periodontics, prosthodontics and oral hygienic treatments. 
 green arrow Dental care for homebound patients
The domiciliary oral health service is available to anyone who is house bound making it difficult or unsafe for them to travel to the Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne. In particular, aged-care patients. 
green arrowTeledentistry
DHSV offers Telehealth consultations. This means you can speak to us via internet video call about your oral health needs.