Online Midwifery Initiated Oral Health Education programPRINT PAGE
Free oral health training for eligible Victorian midwives
If you are a midwife who
- Has a passion for comprehensive care for pregnant women
- Are interested in reducing the impact of poor oral health in pregnant women, as well as children
- Wants to upgrade their skills and confidence to provide oral health advice to pregnant women?
- Looking for CPD opportunities?
Then consider undertaking the Midwifery Initiated Oral Health (MIOH) Education Program offered on the Australian College of Midwives (ACM) eLearning portal, free of charge for those who are eligible for DHSV sponsorship.
The Midwifery Initiated Oral Health Education Program equips midwives with the skills and confidence to include oral health promotion in the first antenatal care booking visit.
This widely researched online education program was prepared by the Centre for Oral Health Outcomes & Research Translation in collaboration with Centre for Applied Nursing Research, Sydney and South Western Sydney Local Health Districts, Sydney Dental Hospital, Western Sydney University and the Australian College of Midwives (ACM).
For more information about MIOH visit:
What does MIOH Education program comprise?
”The course was quick to learn, interesting and can easily be incorporated into our scope of pregnancy care.”
Module 1: Understanding the state of oral care in Australia
Background information and research into the current state of oral health in pregnant women and children.
Module 2: Anatomy and physiology of common oral diseases in pregnancy
Basic anatomy and physiology of the oral cavity and highlights how pregnancy can change this environment. It includes an overview of common oral diseases in pregnancy.
Some of the first group of Victorian midwives who piloted the Midwifery Initiated Oral Health Education Program in 2013, with a former member of the Victorian branch committee of the ACM
Module 3: Oral health screening
An easy to implement two question oral health screening tool and guidelines for oral health assessment and referral.
How many CPD points are gained on completion?
On successful completion of two assessments you will receive 16 CPD points.
What are the other benefits?
- Improve your knowledge and understanding of the importance of oral health during pregnancy
- Become familiar with the evidence
- Develop the skills and confidence to provide oral health advice and support to pregnant women
Check your eligibility for DHSV sponsorship
If you are a Victorian based midwife
- working in the antenatal clinic and do the first booking visit under midwifery care, GP shared Care or the caseload model
- who is an Women’s Health unit manager and or assistant manager
- who is Midwifery clinical educator in Victorian hospital settings
- a Victorian University midwifery lecturer
- working in the Koori Maternity Service
- who is an childbirth and early parenting educator
Then you are eligible to apply for sponsorship
What is involved for the sponsorship?
If you are eligible register an expression of interest for the online course, click the “apply here” button.
- Complete a pre training and post training evaluation questionnaire
- Complete the course within 4 months or seek an extension from the contact person at Dental Health Services Victoria
If you are unable to fulfill these sponsorship requirements you will be asked to reimburse the scholarship course fee.