Oral health promotion programsPRINT PAGE
In this section:
- DHSV oral health promotion programs
- Evidence based oral health promotion resources
- Local government planning for oral health promotion
DHSV has implemented a range of oral health promotion programs and projects focusing on Victorian communities with the greatest need. Our programs aim to engage and support Victorians in reducing factors that may negatively affect their oral health.
Factors which can influence oral health - nutrition, lifestyle, social connectedness, personal health and hygiene practices, socio-economic status, education, cultural beliefs, attitudes and level of health literacy. Factors also include the level of access to oral health services and programs.
DHSV works with partnering organisations and community groups to achieve sustainable oral health outcomes in all our programs.
- Healthy Families, Healthy Smiles
The goal of this project is to enhance the community’s capacity to promote the oral health of Victorian children aged 0-3 years and pregnant women. Read more >>
- Smiles 4 Miles
Smiles 4 Miles is a DHSV initiative working in partnership with local health organisations to improve the oral health of the youngest children in the community.
Read more >>
- Promoting oral health within disability services
Partnerships with organisations to promote oral health to people with a disability.
Read more >>
- Pension-level Supported Residential Services (SRS) project
In the 2007-08 Dental Health Services Victoria (DHSV) received funding to provide all pension-level SRS residents with the appropriate knowledge and resources to improve their oral health and wellbeing.
Read more >>
- The evidence based oral health promotion resource summarises the most effective health promotion strategies for prevention of oral health problems. It will assist health professionals, policy makers, planners and health promotion practitioners to further promote oral health in Victoria. Evidence-based oral health promotion resource (2011) [ PDF]
- In late 2009, a workshop was held by the National Oral Health Promotion Clearing House to develop a national consensus on oral health messages for the Australian public. The messages are published and available here .
- The use of fluorides in Australia: guidelines – developed by the Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, this document sets out the evidence for use of fluorides in Australia. Download the guidelines here [ PDF]
- The Oral Health Promotion Clearing House is an online resource to build oral health promotion capacity and foster the development and implementation of effective prevention and oral health promotion strategies. It contains information on resources, events and initiatives on many oral health promotion topics .
- Dental Health Services Victoria and the Department of Health have produced this guide outlining evidence-informed actions that councils can consider when preparing their municipal public health and well-being plans, municipal early years plans and other strategies. View the local government action guide
|Local Government Area oral health profiles||
||Local government action guide|