Promoting oral health within disability servicesPRINT PAGE
People who experience disability are more likely to experience poorer oral health than the broader community.
DHSV has been working to address this disparity through oral health promotion programs.
With funding support from the Victorian Government, DHSV has partnered with a range of disability service providers to:
- Include oral health in their policy and practice guidelines
- Enhance the capacity of the disability support workforce to promote oral health as part of their role
- Develop easy-to-use tools and resources which can assist people to best support another person’s oral health
- Assist oral health professionals to become more confident in working with people with disabilities and their supports
- Implement innovative ways to address oral health in different settings
- Contribute to advancing the limited evidence base for oral health promotion in disability settings.
Our most recent work has seen us bring together relevant information and resources into one easy-to-use website accessible to anyone with an interest in supporting someone with a disability to maintain their oral health.
For more information, contact EverySmile@dhsv.org.au